Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ospreys in the House

Look carefully at this picture. On the third chimney to the left is an osprey nest! This large home is on the Centerville River in Osterville and I'm not even sure anyone is there other than the pair of ospreys busily building their nest.One stayed on the nest while the other gathered and delivered nesting materials.

This nest is also on the Centerville River, in Centerville this time and this is the second year the ospreys have nested here. You can see there is a lot of guano on the roof but the homeowners are pretty excited to have an osprey nest on their house.
If you enlarge this shot you can easily see the two birds on this nest.
I guess ospreys are nesting on chimneys more and more often but this was the first time I had seen them and I have to say I thought it was pretty cool...

Speaking of birds of prey....did you see the picture of the bald eagle seen in Hyannis that was on the front page of the Cape Cod Times yesterday? Just down the street from Main St.!

1 comment:

  1. Im glad they enjoy having the osprey there as Id hate to see them evicted. the birds not the homeowners! I love osprey.

    ReplyDelete