Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Catbird Singing....

Yesterday morning this catbird sang for hours just outside my window. You'll have to excuse the fogginess of the picture but I had to take it through the glass and screen in order to catch him without spooking him.Catbirds are great mimics and as they sing you will hear snatches of phrases and melodies of other bird songs as well. This one seemed to have a fondness for wren songs and buzzes and also did a pretty good imitation of a blue jay bugle. Catbirds belong to the mimidae family and are related to mockingbirds and thrashers.
The minute I moved in the window my little gray friend took off. He sang on and off for the rest of the day but never again got close enough or in a clear enough spot for me to take his picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment