Thursday, December 29, 2011

Looking back on my Cape Cod nature year....

Yep, it's that time of year when everyone is compiling lists and making promises and all that jazz and I have to admit I thought it might be fun to look back on some of my favorite pictures and nature experiences from the last year....

Every January I walk around Kalmus Beach in Hyannis whenever it is warm enough that the wind won't rip my face off....Last January was ridiculously warm and we saw lots of snow buntings on our morning walks. My little friend, Arlo, got lots of sniffing done as well and here is a shot of his cute fluffy pantaloonies. I think they add to the overall landscape, don't you?

In February the ocean often is shining and glittery on sunny days....this view is at Coast Guard Beach in Eastham...
In March I keep watch for the first sight of skunk cabbage....
In April I keep watch for mayflowers....
In May the first blossoms of red or swamp maple make me swoon...
In June it begins to feel like summer may actually arrive....
In July I can't get enough sightings of butterflies...
In August it seems like whales are everywhere...
In September sunsets are often spectacular...
In October skies are often dramatic....
In November there are few people on the beaches....even on nice days....
and in December young hawks are easy to see in leafless trees...
Sot there's a very quick and far from complete spin through my nature year....I will post more over the next few days...including more about the highlights that I put aside today for a more in depth look.

What was your favorite nature sighting or experience in 2011?

2 comments:

  1. love this year in brief Mary. And thank you for the card. It's adorable. Sigh, looking at these pictures makes my heart long for CC. ah well. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    Wefunder.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete