Saturday, May 7, 2011

Violets are in bloom

No matter where I look this week I am seeing violets everywhere. Known as the common violet this little lovely was once a wildflower. It has become so entrenched in our suburban landscape that few think of it as wild any more, however.
The purple ones are the most common...
but I'm especially fond of these pretty little white ones. I have pretty much let the violets have free run in my yard but I know people who spend a lot of time and energy pulling them out, cursing as they do so. As you might imagine, many of my neighbors now have violets all over their yards as well. Fortunately most of them don't mind.
And of course they make a great drawing and painting subject as well....

1 comment:

  1. I adore violets. my gram had both colors in her lawn and i kept planting them in my cape cod rental. they are also a fabulous medicinal herb.

    ReplyDelete