Saturday, April 9, 2011

Ospreys

I know ospreys are more and more common here but I still get a thrill when I see one. They are one of the environmental success stories from my youth. I didn't see one until I was well into adulthood and I think I saw my first one in Florida...
This osprey platform was built by the utility company after several nesting attempts atop the bare utility pole ended badly for the ospreys. For the first year ospreys visited and perched there but it wasn't until this year that they actually have showed some nest building interest beyond a few random sticks.
Not far from where this bird was perched I could see another one.
Can you see the osprey? It is the black dot on top of the pole and yes, that is what it looked like from where I was standing. I have learned to look for a second bird nearby the first and they are often on a pole so I zoomed in on this one...
And this is what I saw...
and this....

Later on I headed to a different spot where I knew I would probably see multiple birds nesting. The Centerville River is a popular osprey hang out and sure enough....
I saw this pair (the second one is hidden in this picture but is behind the first)
This pair....and I especially love this pair because the homeowner has obviously gone to some lengths to keep them off...
And this one was a loner for the moment though there were other birds in the air. There were 2 other nests along the river as well, both with birds but I would have had to go on private property to photograph them so I left it for another time...

No comments:

Post a Comment