Friday, April 17, 2009

Watching Whales from Provincetown Beaches

It was a beautiful day on the Cape today and I decided to grab my camera and sketchbook and drive to Provincetown to see if I could see any whales from the shore. Reports of whale sightings from the beaches of Provincetown are fairly common at this time of year and I figured if nothing else it would be a great day to watch the gannets diving while I ate my lunch.

The view above is from Race Point where I didn't see any whales. There were many people playing ball on the beach and vehicles parked along the waterfront so I drove over to Herring Cove.


It's hard to see in this picture because my camera's zoom isn't working but that dark spot is a whale watching boat. Around the boat you could see all the spouts of the whales it was watching and sometimes there were three or four spouts going at the same time. As I scanned the horizon with my binoculars there were more whales and at one point one of them breached. It was pretty amazing and people were lined up along the beach hooting and hollering to each other to check it out.

The weather may not be as nice tomorrow but if you're on the Cape and you have a chance over the next few days to get to Provincetown you might check out the whale show!

No comments:

Post a Comment